Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Origami Christmas

For some reason, I have never really gotten into origami.  This is not because I don't like it, I just have never really tried to do it/been around people who have/etc.  I think the paper is gorgeous and the art beautiful and for this year's Christmas Tree, I was thinking about trying to make a few origami ornaments.  What do you think?  I was crazily inspired by this photo - its amazing, isn't it! 



When I was looking around the web for ideas, there were obviously millions (including Star Wars/Yoda origami - who knew?), but I am sticking with the traditional (and I believe beginner friendly) peace crane.  Sounds perfect for this time of year, doesn't it?  

~D&OC's crane mobile via Plush Palate~

I found some instructions for those of us who have never done it before.  They seem pretty easy, right?


And there are so many different papers you can use.  These are some vintage ones I found.

~via~


~via~

It will be the perfect origami Christmas:


I already found my next origami project....for after Christmas.  I feel myself becoming addicted already!

Origami Kusudama paper flowers - so pretty.  Tutorial located here


9 comments:

  1. I've always admired orgami. I think it looks just so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those flowers are awesome, and origami cranes for ornaments it such a great idea. i love using origami paper for little projects cause it's just so pretty!

    oh....and i keep meaning to ask you...did you try out zumba yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these!! The papers are so beautiful, and the finished designs amazing. Perfect decor for any time of year.
    So precise, so lovely. Good luck with your paper-folding :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many things I love in this post! First, that tree with the origami hanging off it - one of my favorite pictures ever. Second, the idea of origami ornaments. And third, the paper flowers - so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the paper. So lovely! I don't know if I've got the skills necessary to actually do the folding. Ah ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't get enough of that first photo - i love it. and the cranes have come out great - perfect addition to the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just did a post on a reception i did where i used origami doves...i'm going to try this crane out! seems simple enough!

    ReplyDelete