Friday, September 4, 2009

Friday Flavor: Maine Blueberry Buckle

It's Friday - yay!  That means it is recipe day here at aperfectpeach.  I made Kate's delicious peach crostini last weekend and it was a huge success with the girlfriends!  Thanks again, Kate!  This week's receip looks delicious!  I love blueberries - and pretty much live off of flats of them in the summer - so this week's recipe is right up my alley!  Yum!



Let's get one thing out there: I LOVE Martha Stewart. I don't just like her, I love her. My motto in life is "WWMD"? What Would Martha Do?

But this summer, I discovered she and I disagree on a major point: which blueberries are superior- wild, tart, Maine Blueberries or cultivated, plump, New Jersey Blueberries. I prefer the tart, sweet, tiny little fruits of Maine and she likes the "Jersey Berries" ("Jersey" pronounced with disdain).

While I try to get past this obvious lapse in judgment on Marty's part, I will share with you this recipe for a blueberry treat I have been eating since I was about as tiny as those dark purple berries that hang low on the bush...

Blueberry Buckle
(mini history: if you're wondering what "Buckle" means, it's just German for "single layer cake with streusel topping, kind of like a coffee cake)


1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 cups wild Maine blueberries
(its ok if you don't have access to them - you can use whatever you can find at the market. If you use frozen ones, toss them in a little flour before you mix them in so they don't all sink to the bottom of the batter!)

Crumb topping:
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Cream butter; add sugar and beat until light.
Add egg and beat well. Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with milk, beating until smooth.
Fold in blueberries. Pour into greased pan (9 x 9 x 2-inch).
To make crumb topping, blend butter, sugar, flour and cinnamon.
Sprinkle over cake.
Bake in preheated moderate oven (375) for about 35 minutes.
Cut into 8 pieces, or 4 if you're feeling bold.

Enjoy - Happy Labor Day weekend aperfectpeach readers!  Post a comment and let me know what you think of this one! Kate

3 comments:

  1. Hi A Perfect Peach Readers,
    I tried Kate's newest Friday Flavor recipe - Maine Blueberry Buckle.
    I made the Buckle for the family picnic that I hosted on Sunday. Even though I didn't have Maine Blueberries - the recipe was wonderful.

    It was a hit.. Thanks Kate

    ReplyDelete